Monday, January 9, 2017

Release Blitz & Book Review: Set Me Free by M.R. Leahy

Set Me Free
by M.R. Leahy
Series:
Free #1
Genre: Dark Romance
Release Date: January 9th, 2017


Blurb:

*Set Me Free is a dark romance
I do not advise anyone who is sensitive to certain subjects or sexual situations to read it as it does contain certain situations.*


Set Me Free
Torn and betrayed by her family, Emmalyn is taken and forced to live with her mother and stepfather, who happens to be the leader of one of the biggest sex trafficking rings around.

Thrown into a world of sex and slavery, Emmalyn is roomed with Kodah. A hot-headed boy, whose only weakness is her.

Both lost and tortured in this endless hell, they cling to the hope that one day they will make it out, that one day they will be set free.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33118467-set-me-free


Buy now:
US: http://amzn.to/2j2JQUk
UK: http://amzn.to/2i8yZrT
CA: http://amzn.to/2j2QVob
AU: http://amzn.to/2i8As1x
B&N: http://bit.ly/2iBIHUO
Kobo: http://bit.ly/2j7hcpx
iBooks: http://apple.co/2iNIgGI

Excerpt:

I know I shouldn’t feel this comfortable in a stranger’s arms, but for some reason, I can’t help it. He looks at me like I hold the light to his darkness, like I’m a treasure.
Lying my head back down on the pillow, we continue to stare at each other, his hands running up and down my back in soothing motions. I’m not sure how long we stayed like that before he finally spoke, his voice breaking the silence for the first time.
“What’s your name?” he asks, his voice soft, barely above a whisper
“Emmalyn.”
“Emmalyn.” The way he whispers my name sends shivers across my body
“What’s your name?” I ask, my voice small and shy
“Kodah.”
Silence follows as we lie there. I think he has fallen asleep when his hand caresses my face. Opening his mouth, Kodah says the very thing to give me hope, to give me a fighting chance, and steals my heart while sealing our fate. “I’m going to get us out of here, Emmy, and when I do, I’m going to keep you.”
Copyright to M.R. Leahy 2016
(Subject to Change)

About the author:

M.R. Leahy was born in Amarillo, TX, where she was briefly raised before moving to a small Island in the middle of the Puget Sound called Whidbey Island. Growing up she lived with her mom and younger sister and a few cousins scattered close by.

As soon as she could, M.R. Leahy left the small island to get a feel for what the world had in store. After jumping around a few places, she landed in beautiful Wilmington, NC where she not only met the love of her life but became pregnant with her first child. Not long after finding out about the life they created they married and moved to San Diego, CA so they could be closer to family and start the beginning to their forever.

M.R. Leahy now has two beautiful boys and is living life to the fullest, not taking anything for granted. She now spends her time being a stay at home mom. When she's not making lunches and kissing booboos, you can find her nose deep in a book getting lost in the many different worlds authors provide, or writing and creating different stories of her own.

M.R. Leahy writes dark romances but also has her hands in contemporary romance and romantic comedy. Her possibilities are endless.


Giveaway:


My Review:

OMG! This book! I’m in love! Though the suspense was totally killing me!

This book is quite dark, dealing with human trafficking, child labor, abuse and torture. The story is told from a dual POV and goes several times back and forth in time which didn’t bother me although I usually get confused with timelines.

The writing - albeit the serious themes - is really good and pulled me into the story right from the beginning. I was absolutely captured by the agony and the heartbreak of what Emmy and Kodah had to go through.
'My story is something dark, something unforgiving but I do know that even in the darkest of times, light can be found.'
The Story:
Emmalyn is barely 10 years old when her mum takes her away from her dad’s and forces her to live in an abusive world of sex and slavery. Her stepdad Marx Nixon is the leader of one of the biggest child slavery rings. He makes the world believe that Emmy is his daughter and she will be trained to be one of the best submissive sex slaves that will be sold to the highest bidder once she turns 16. She is going to be the example for the other slaves and also for the bidders to show Marx's unending power and that he has no weakness.

Emmy and her roommate Kodah develop feelings for each other in this world full of cruelty and abuse. They pull strength from each other to keep from falling apart in this dark place but how long can they pull through until they will eventually break? How long can Kodah watch Emmy be abused until he does something that will backfire and get him punished or even killed?
'If a person is willing to torture and sell their own child, imagine what they will do to someone who isn't theirs. It's a form of power at least that's what I'm told. The objective is that once I turn sixteen, I am going to be sold to the highest bidder something I have been training for since the day I arrived.'
Thoughts:
This is one of just a few books I wish I could read again for the first time although the tension throughout the whole book was driving me crazy. (In a good way =P)
I absolutely loved the extraordinary names of Kodah and Emmalyn. They made this story’s experience all the more special and unique because it didn't taint the story with the familiarity of names and comparisons to characters of other stories.

While this book contains some serious topics I still found some beauty in it and was caught by surprise that I wasn’t much put off by the fact that the story took place in a child trafficking world. Though this was probably because I was focused on the love that Emmy and Kodah found in such an awful place. It was about how they grew together and helped each other pull through and never gave up despite the ugliness and hopelessness that surrounded them.

I was totally captured by the writing and the way I got to experience how despite all the bad and ugly there’s always something good which just had to be found and believed in.
I thought I had the perfect life but fate wanted me here, and even though this place is the worst of its kind, I wouldn't trade it for anything because it brought me to Kodah.
It's sick and twisted, but it's also raw and true.
Despite my expectations the book was not all about sex. Yes it was about sex slaves and there was a lot of abuse but it wasn’t all written in glory details because some things were just mentioned by Emmy or hinted at. This gave me as a reader some kind of distance to the horrible events going on but there were still enough brutal things that happened to Kodah, Emmy and also to the other slaves. Sometimes I just forgot how young those kids still were.
'I compare these events to the ballet recitals I did as a little girl, only instead of pink tutus and calming music, you're naked, and it's the sounds of whips and chains.'
It was such a fucked up story but oh so good!

I could not believe how the guards and all the people working for Marx extenuated what went down at this place. Forced sex, punishments as well as all the ‘activities’ the slaves had to undergo was nothing else than pure training. Sometimes I just forgot what place they were at because Emmy and Kodah captured me with their bittersweet love story until I was brutally brought down to their reality when Emmy had to endure another torturous meeting or training.

The abuse taking place in this book wasn't like I've never read before but the raw, gritty and honest way of the story and its way it was written was exceptionally powerful and stunned me.
'This man is my superman and my kryptonite; he has the power to build me up and tear me down; he has the capability to bring me to my knees but the strength to pull me back up.
This man is my everything, and I know that no matter what the future holds, I will carry this love with me until the end.'
The ending of this first book was kind of a closure of some parts which made me happy because I was worried that there’d be a huge cliffhanger. Nevertheless, I can’t wait for the next book to come out.
“I'm a sex slave...”
“Set me free...”
(This book is perfect for those of you that don’t like cliffhangers or are worried about starting a series that ends every book in the middle of an important event. This is not the case here IMO even though the story does not end with this book. )

-- I received an ARC of this book from Give Me Books Promotions in exchange for an honest review. --

My rating: 5 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment