Sunday, September 23, 2018

Book Review: Craving Dragonflies by Terri E. Laine

10 *fanfuckingtastic* Stars

I had been waiting forever for this story and it was absolutely worth it!! Sawyer and Ashton will always be my favorite book boyfriends. I love them with all my heart and I feel very protective of them. From the very beginning when they appeared in this series I was enchanted by them. So, when this story drifted into darker territory (which I anticipated, considering what I already knew about Ashton), my heart broke irrevocably into thousands of tiny pieces when I read what Ashton had been through in his younger years. I knew certain things would happen but it didn’t lessen the ache and pain I felt with him. And although I expected this story to be very raw and touching, I did not count on it to be so deeply emotional and affecting.
‘Fate had only ever been a bitch to me. I didn’t expect anything less.’ 
Ashton's story brought me to tears. It was painful to read at times but it was also hopeful and beautiful in so many ways.
‘Rain was one thing that didn’t burn when it touched my skin.’ 
Obviously, Sawyer played a big part in this book and he even managed to burrow himself deeper into my heart. I knew from his story how selfless and caring he was but witnessing his part in saving Ashton was heartbreakingly beautiful. Those two boys totally captured my heart.

Part of why I love Ashton so much comes from the connection I feel to him and how similar he is to me in so many ways. Willow as well though because she caught me by surprise. I was very anxious with whom Ashton would end up with but I think that Willow was just perfect. She was no arrogant or showy bitch but rather an inconspicuous and very sweet person who showed compassion to every living no matter how small or seemingly insignificant to others. I liked her a lot and approve of her for Ashton. =P
‘I felt too visible, longing all my life not to be seen at the same time, hating to be alone in my own skin.’

There were some sensitive scenes in this book which had me break out in goosebumps and tears because of the rage filling me. I have no words to describe it but Ashton’s story brought me to my knees and ripped me in shreds. It was beyond heartbreaking, so it might sound bad but I don’t mean it to, when I say that this was the most perfect outcome of a story for him. It’s tragic, but in a way that’s exactly his signature.
‘When you love someone so unconditionally, the consequences of what they needed from you didn’t matter even knowing I could never have what I wanted.’ 
The Story:
Willow didn't have it easy with Ash because there wasn't just another girl but a boy that meant the world and so much more to Ashton. But that wasn't even all of it, as Ash still struggled with the demons of his past. He's only ever known to follow Sawyer who had taken the lead. Now, since Sawyer cut the ties to Ash he feels lost, alone and abandoned by his best friend. He's hurt and doesn't know how to live his life without him because he can’t remember a time when he wasn't there. It's hard enough even before Willow became a constant in his thoughts and then it got a lot more complicated and confusing for him.
‘I’ve relied on his being there for so long, I can’t see what life looks like without him.’ 
Thoughts:
The slow burn romance was expected, as well as the fact that Ashton needed to find himself first to get his life under control. I knew this wasn't going to be an easy or light read but rather a tough story because Ashton was a very complex character. The author did a fantastic job and surpassed all my expectations with this phenomenal book. Even now I struggle to find the right words to say. Ash’s story was beyond perfect. No matter how heartbreaking it was, this story had Ash written all over it. Perfectly imperfect and absolute perfection.
When you've read the series and know Ashton and his struggles I'm sure that you'll understand what I mean.

This is definitely a must read book and one of the best releases of 2018!! But I recommend reading the previous books first (if you haven’t already) before going into Craving Dragonflies because it would give a better understanding of Ashton and Sawyer’s intricate friendship, although there was a lot explained about their history in this book as well.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment