Monday, April 15, 2019

Book Review: Tempting Christa by Tracie Delaney & M. A. Comley


Christa fled from her dark past and wanted to feel safe again in her new home far away from the people who hurt her badly. Getting a restart in life wasn’t easy though and finding a job was just as hard. But she was a strong and determined woman with an inquisitive mind.
When Dayton Somers made her an unbeatable offer she was torn between accepting it and running far away from yet another rich guy trying to pursue her.
‘Never again would I allow a man to control me, not even one as formidable as the man standing in front of me now.’
Although Dayton wasn’t like her ex, there were still some similarities at first which made Christa cautious because rich, controlling men weren’t what she was looking for especially when said man was her boss and used to getting what he wanted. She went through hell before she came to New York but came out alive and swore to never fall for a man like that again.
‘I’d allowed a man to break me once. It wouldn’t be happening a second time.’
The story was told from Dayton’s and Christa’s POV and slowly revealed the troubled pasts of both characters. While I enjoyed the story a lot and liked how Christa fought against the monsters who were trying to destroy her, I think that it moved too fast in some regards. Maybe I would have liked it better from only one POV because having both main characters with dark histories and secrets felt a bit crowded especially because it only grazed on the heavy topics (although Christa’s had some more depth). That’s obviously a personal matter but I just prefer when it focuses on one thing and goes deep all the way or not at all.

I loved how the book started and Christa’s reservations toward Dayton and his proposals. She didn’t give in easily and posed a challenge for the demanding and controlling business magnate Dayton Somers. Max was adorable as well although he could have been more involved for my liking since there was a new man in their lives.
What irked me a bit was how - after only a short time and without much happening - Dayton the womanizer and forever bachelor all of a sudden wanted it all, the girlfriend, kids etc., without seemingly any development of his character.
Maybe I wasn’t as involved in the story as others but I just didn’t feel their sudden connection. Or it may have been because of how jumpy it felt at times when things moved along rather fast without smooth transitions.
Other than that I really liked the storyline and the ending had my heart rate speed up. Now I am impatiently awaiting the next book.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment