Sunday, April 8, 2018

Book Review: I'll Be Waiting by A.M. Hargrove

It's no secret that I love the author's previous work and you can imagine how excited I was for this book especially since I love military books. While the story started out really good, it took quite a while for the characters to meet and that's when it started to get somewhat odd for me. I was never a fan of instant love but it's not impossible for me to like it only very rare. In this case though I just couldn't get into the story because of how the characters were all over each other from the moment they met. If you like that kind of thing, then go for it. It just wasn't for me and I feel bad for giving it a low rating just because it wasn't my taste.

I did like that it was all very honest, open and very upfront without secrecy or lots of self-consciousness from the characters, but it almost felt a bit too much and kind of clinical. I didn't feel the emotions despite all the stuff that happened which is a shame because there was a lot that could have had me in tears. Especially with the stuff Rusty went through. I'm still not quite sure if he had managed to work through the things he endured as a kid or if he was still working on it.

It was a bit weird how instantly obsessed Rusty was with Lee and his thoughts and plans after he'd only met her. Everything was moving so fast and was a little too much for my liking. It was all a bit too fairytale-like.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way because the story was obviously intended to be like that regarding the characters and how they acted. They knew it was ridiculous to feel this way so fast and how they rushed into things but I was missing the spark. And the story with her grandfather was sweet but again, I'm just not into stuff like that.

Yeah, sorry. It was an okay read with some good stuff and some things I wasn't fond of. But it's a matter of personal opinion and I still hope you give it a chance to see for yourself if you like it.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment