Friday, November 9, 2018

Book Review: The Perfect Life by Callie Anderson


WOW! I was very impressed with this book, and not only because it made me a snotty mess. The story could be anyone’s and that’s why it touched me so deeply. It was the ugly truth of life and I connected with the characters on a level that's very rare for me with book characters, but I know what it meant to be stuck in a vicious circle without knowing how to break out of it.
'I was in a constant tug of war between what I felt and what I should be feeling. I felt alone, hurt, and abandoned, when I should have felt loved, happy, content.'
The Story:
Stephanie had the perfect husband and with their precious baby her life was complete. But somewhere it all went downhill and she led a lonely life despite having her husband and son. From the outside her family seemed like a picture perfect dream but does anyone beside herself even really know how it looks inside her head and heart?!
'I had everything I'd ever wanted, but I'd never felt so unhappy.'
Thoughts:
I could talk about this book all day long but it would be hard not to give anything away. So I try to keep it short and spoiler free.

This story was a heavy read in many ways but also a process about dealing with the sad and tough parts in life. I cried a lot, and often unexpectedly. There were many moments or scenes that most are familiar with in their lives and some brought my own memories to the forefront of my mind. There was a scene or two were the romance got physical aka hot and heavy but the majority of the story was on a very emotional level. (At least for me because I'm very sensitive and prone to tears.)

This book touched me on so many levels not only because it was beautifully written and a heartbreaking story but also because I could relate to so much that was mentally going on in Steph, past and present.

I loved how the book was constructed with past and present woven into each other. As with the other books I've read from this author, I think that she really has a good hand on how to perfectly mix the two times together. Although it was told early on what’s going to happen in the end, the journey to go there revealed so much more and still didn't prepare me for how the ending hit me, even though I knew the outcome. I was so emotionally invested in this story that I cried almost through the entire book.
'Time doesn't heal old wounds. It simply makes you unable to feel the true pain until you're ready for it.'
Stephanie was crumbling under the weight of her breaking marriage and it broke my heart piece by piece apart to see her struggling alone with so many things. The hardest part was to learn that she wouldn't have needed to struggle alone if she had only reached out for help sooner. Everything else that followed was even harder to read but I was glad that she eventually found her silver lining.
'Though darkness haunted my marriage, my love and light of being a mom had never changed for AJ.'
I loved all the characters, even Sue, because no matter how cruel she was at times, I truly understood and felt the pain she was suffering. Luke just might have been a godsend because he was such a great human being, very determined and stubborn when he wanted something but also a very sweet, selfless and caring man. AJ was a smart and very clever boy, he really came after his dad. Bruce was as stuck as Stephanie was in their vicious circle, so, although I tried to blame him at first for what was going on, I couldn't after I knew the whole story. I liked Bruce a lot and I wished I could have made things un-happen for him.
'I needed to remember that I had all I'd ever wanted.'
The Perfect Life broke my heart again and again. It had my eyes tearing up anew every time they started to dry up. When you are prepared for an ugly cry story that will have your heart aching, then please read this beautifully heartbreaking story. I highly recommend it.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment