Thursday, January 3, 2019

Book Review: His To Protect by Tracie Delaney



I’ve always had a soft spot for cops and Cole was no exception. But damn, can I be honest and say that I absolutely loved Draven?! So, after staking my claim on him (and I don’t care what anyone else says =P), let’s talk about this book.
I liked it, I really did, but it wasn’t an all-consuming read. I can’t deny that I enjoyed reading it, but the story had not enough oomph, for the lack of a better word. Although there was an emotionally up and down for the characters, what with Tanner in the picture and Millie’s way to recovery, I couldn’t connect to them. I can’t pinpoint a reason to my emotional distance to the story so I guess it’s just a question of personal taste.
Don’t get me wrong, it was a nice read but it just somehow didn’t click for me. This made rating this book even harder because it was well written and it was a good story but it didn’t make my heart beat faster. Well, I guess you can’t love them all.

There isn’t anything outstanding to tell. The characters were nice and I liked to see the other brothers with their girlfriends again from the previous books. Although I still didn’t like Laurella calling Calum ‘stronzo’, even when she meant it in an affectionate way. I guess that’s one example of that personal taste I was talking about before.

As much as I loved the Winning Ace Series by this author, I wasn’t as charmed by this one.

Cole Brook had been friends with Millie at high school and while he's always had a crush on her, she was always just a friend and the one who got away. Now that he found her again, he was determined to seize his chance and not let her go. But will he be successful at last?!
Millie wasn’t the girl anymore that Cole once knew but his friendly and charming ways helped her to finally see that good men really do exist. Her past still haunted her but with the help of Cole she was slowly getting herself back and maybe even gain something more.
‘Whatever had transpired in her life, the last ten years had changed her from the girl he knew to the troubled woman now before him.’
It was a nice story about courage and learning about one’s self-worth. I liked the process of how Millie – even after all those years – found a way to claim her life back. Nobody’s responsible for one’s life than the person itself and it’s never too late for that. I don’t even want to go into ‘how hate can destroy a person’, because I’m sure we’re all aware of that and I rather wanted to point out the positive of the story’s significance.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. -- 
 
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment