Monday, July 1, 2019

Book Review: Derision by Trisha Wolfe


I read this book because I was really intrigued by the characters from the With Ties that Bind Series. All in all I enjoyed this book but think that although it was a quick, hot and nice read, it missed detailing and there wasn’t any time for important things to develop and grow. The story rushed through all kinds of important steps especially in the bdsm aspect and I wasn’t a fan of the sudden feelings after only a couple of days that the characters knew each other.
'”I'm going to debase you in the most lovely way.”'
Alexis was a frightened and rather inconspicuous person working in a law firm full of self-assured people who didn’t give her a second glance. That’s what she thought at least until one of her bosses noticed her.
'I no longer want to be the awkward, strange girl that enforces some ridiculous, self-serving belief she doesn't long to be touched.'
Chase Larking was dominant and controlling through and through. He had an eye for beautiful and submissive things and pegged Alexis quite right. He never entertained the thought of taking on a submissive but Alexis was more intriguing and alluring for him to get her out of his mind with only one fuck. But his world was not black and white and the game he was playing was more complex than what meets the eye and Alexis soon found herself in some difficult and precarious situations.
'There's no Prince Charming here. I'm aroused by a woman's humility. I need to debase them, make them just as desperate as I am to feel the relief that comes from granting their control to me.'
My biggest bother in this story was how Chase basically forced her to agree to something he did not explain and she knew nothing about. He threatened her with losing her job when she didn’t do what he demanded and threw her into a foreign world full of kink. He was even telling her off when she spoke without asking for permission first when she didn't even know the rules of that beforehand. I know that she was his first sub in training but he was seemingly inexperienced with how he expected a puppy to know all his commands. He was so demanding without having set boundaries or even developed trust with his sub and she gave in to him without a second thought. It was frustrating and almost horrifying to watch because this wasn’t fair for either of them and actually dangerous for obvious reasons in such a relationship that was supposed to be based on trust and communication. Both were missing here.
'”Let me break you, tear down your ill-conceived notions, so that you can truly experience the pleasures of freedom.”'
Despite the rather forceful and humiliating introduction into The Firm – something he also didn’t explain to her – Alexis and Chase clicked together in an unexpected way. The development was missing because it dove right into the juicy stuff but it's undoubtedly a turn on for people who aren’t squeamish and who don’t need all the love and romance. This story was more about control than freely given submission.
'I am his object of derision. I am his. A belonging.'
I just felt like Alexis got pushed into something without wanting it and was too afraid to put a halt to it. A lot of things in this book were a grey area and I was torn between shouting at her to run away or push herself closer to him and cheer her on. It was a really weird feeling because there was even a time or two when he seemed almost nice and caring. I got whiplash from his constant and sudden mood changes.
'Learning to trust is like trying to breathe under water, conditioning yourself with patience till you can take that first, unobstructed breath.'
While things might still be a turn on for some of us who bloom in the pain and pleasure that comes with it, it's still harsh when you look at it from a neutral view.
So I didn’t hate it but I also didn’t love it, but although it had a bumpy start for me I can't deny how much I enjoyed this story at the end. Especially when Alexis managed to get under his skin and finally found her voice a time or two. The story definitely had a lot of potential.
'I'm as equally aroused by his brutal touch as I am by his tender caress. I crave his harsh declarations just as I desire to hear his whispered confessions.'
The reason of my rating despite the things that bothered me?!.. Well, I can't lie and can't deny it. Sometimes I prefer the forced and non-con to hearts and flowers. I like me some dominant with a strong hold, he should just know what he does.

My rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment