Thursday, June 27, 2019

Book Review: Seven Shades of You by A.M. Johnson


I absolutely loved Let There Be Light, which was my first book by this author. So I was very excited about Indie's book and had high expectations. While I loved seeing Royal and Camden again, and to finally have Kai and Indie's story here, I didn't feel the same love for this book than for the first one. I guess I expected more emotions and feelings between the characters and less drama about their secret ‘love’ and what Royal would think.
'"Kai is more than his reputation."'
Although it was very well written I struggled for more than half of the story with the slow pace and with how dragging it felt. The story was good but it wasn't so much about romance and love than about the dark shadows of the characters. While the slow burn fit perfectly for Royal and Camden's story, I think it wasn’t beneficial to Indie's story. It was just soooo slow. I know that the characters weren't the usual carefree ones but it took me at least until 43% until I felt the butterflies in my belly from the cuteness of the characters physical pull towards each other. I understand that it couldn't have been rushed due to especially Indie’s innocence as well as her illness and Kai’s very opposite character that fought with his anger control and alcoholism. But I just struggled too much to keep reading for such a long time before it started to get where I needed it to go. I think that if I hadn't read and loved the first book so much, I might even have given up on this read after a few chapters.
'A lot of shit in my life had taken a nosedive, a full-on spiral down, but I kept reminding myself some things had turned out okay.'
I loved the characters as individuals and their story was very emotional in the last quarter of the book but it felt too much like a high school story with more problems than good feelings. I liked how bold and brave Indie was and how Kai wanted to be better for her. But there was also a lot going on with the secondary characters and the romance of the story was almost nonexistent. What a shame. As a love story it fell flat for me. It was mostly a 3 star read but became a 4 star way later on, so that’s why I gave it 3.5 stars but it’s a beautiful story nonetheless.
'She was everything I could never have, everything I didn't deserve.'
The Story:
Kai kept his distance to Indie because she was his best friend's sister and he was not good enough for her. She deserved better than his dark days, drinking and whoring escapades. But he wanted to be better for his mom and worked hard on himself.
Indie had to fight to stay in the light her whole life. Although the voices inside her head weren't always whispering, they always lingered and waited for moments of doubt or insecurity to raise their heads. When things changed at college and Kai and Indie's path kept crossing, their pull towards each other became too much to ignore and although they struggled to keep their feelings hidden they eventually had to give in.
'Kai Carter was the hero, the mystery, the only boy to ever make me look twice. He was a brazen brush of violet against the muted gray canvas of St. Peter's.'


My rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment