Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Book Review: Songs for Cricket by Terri E. Laine


This book took place in the world of the Chasing Butterflies Series but with the younger generation from Sawyer and the gang. I absolutely loved that we’re brought back to the place where everything started, and even though there were now different characters I still felt the lingering presence of Ashton and the others. Especially since the new group took up residence within the walls where Ashton, Sawyer, Chance and Kelley lived while attending Layton University. And now Finn, Sawyer's brother, was there as well! I’m so excited that he gets the chance to be a bigger part of this series because I’ve always loved this guy so much.

The story was told from Finley’s and Shepard’s POV and I adored them already when I first met them briefly in Ashton’s book. Well, I might have been biased with how much I loved them already before I started reading this book but I was confirmed in my love for them during this read.
'It was most certainly time for me to move on from childhood fantasizes of a father who loved me and a boy I'd wanted to be mine.' 
Finley was stubborn but also a very brave and tough girl. I was in awe of her and of how she handled all the pressure and everything she had to deal with as the only girl around the boys.

Shepard was not easy to pin down because he was a great but rather normal kind of guy, he was one to stand back and assess situations first as opposed to August who had a very short temper, and Cooper the recluse who was the quiet and shy kind of guy. When it came to Finley though, all three of them didn't hesitate to stand in front of her for protection. While August and Cooper were her brothers, their friend Shepard has been in love with her for years. Since he didn't know if she reciprocated his feelings and he also didn't want to destroy his friendship with the boys, he'd only been pinning for her from afar.

Like typical teenagers, they didn’t talk about their feelings which led to a lot of misunderstandings and so many wrong conclusions. I loved that Finn was there to be the voice of reason and for the great conversations with him.

Oh to be young again. All the heartbreak and tough decisions. I didn’t envy them and even got frustrated to the point where I wanted to yell at them to just finally tell each other how they felt. Well, of course that would have been too easy and I was sitting on pins and needles until it was time for them to finally be together. Obviously, I rooted for them because I was a fan of them since the very beginning.

I loved the story and couldn't put it down with all the added drama that unfolded. It was nerve-wracking to follow all the lies and false accusation to the point of destroying a person’s life. Thank god for all the friends who had each other's back because that's invaluable.

The book had a familiar feel to it as the characters felt very similar to Ashton, Chance and Sawyer, plus the same environment at the University. But don't let this keep you from reading this book because after a few chapters, it didn't feel that way anymore as it obviously was a different story with different characters.

There were some football games in this book, what with all of them playing, which I loved especially because of Finley and how protective her guys were of her. I don’t know much about the sport but it was well enough explained, so even if you’re not into sports, this was an amazing read you really should consider reading! And if you loved Chance's book, you'll love this one as well.

Cooper the recluse reminded me a bit of Ashton which was probably why I felt an instant connection to him. I love him already and can’t wait for his book especially because this story hinted at August's and Cooper’s coming stories but nothing concrete was revealed.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment