Friday, August 23, 2019

Book Review: Friction by Tracie Delaney


Finally a great story about car racing! I can’t wait for more books in this series!

I grew up in a family of Formula One fans so I was thrilled that this book was about car racing. It’s plenty explained so even if you don’t know anything about that sport you’ll surely be able to follow the story easily. I found it thrilling and was on the edge of my seat a couple of times when Jared was racing. I loved it and could have read a lot more about that actually.
‘Jared Kane wasn’t just a gorgeous specimen – he was a fucking god behind the wheel.’
The story had a great pace and was an emotional up and down for the characters mixed with some of their mistakes and jealousy, as well as some very steamy scenes that will have you hot and bothered. Of course Jared’s career demanded a lot from him and made it even harder for them than any normal job would have done. Added to the hardship of their situation was that her father was his boss, which made any attraction between them a lot more complicated.
But the characters were so cute together and I loved their possessiveness of one another while they didn’t even acknowledge their feelings for themselves.

The Story:
Jared Kane's dream came true, he was offered a contract with Nash Racing and was now a driver in the Formula One racing. He didn't always have it easy in life, but with a lot of work and determination he showed everyone who didn't believe in him that he could make it.
‘I’d proved it to all those motherfuckers who believed it impossible for a guy from the wrong side of the tracks to succeed in a sport chock-full of rich dudes born with a silver spoon dangling from their too-privileged mouths.’
Paisley Nash, daughter of Jack Nash who was head of one of the most successful British racing teams in Formula One, grew up among the drivers, engineers and mechanics. She now had a degree in mechanical engineering in her pocket and wanted to prove that she could become one of the best mechanics in a man's world without the leverage of her surname. She was determined to make them see that she wasn't a little girl anymore but a grown woman who’s fully capable of doing a fantastic job in this field dominated by men.
‘As Jack Nash’s daughter, I’d have to work three times as hard to prove I deserved my spot through merit, not DNA.’
Thoughts:
Paisley was in between the stage of a girl becoming a woman and making a spot for herself in this by men dominated world. I liked her at times but couldn’t warm up to the moments when she acted her young age. It wasn’t really immature but it didn’t feel very mature either. She was still looking for her place in the world and not yet standing firmly planted with both feet in life. Maybe it had to do with how sheltered and protected she was by her father and his team.

Jared Kane was a great character. Although it started out with him as a womanizer, he became a great guy who showed that he was a lot more than only an ambitious racer. He was such a loving, generous, humble and caring guy; topped with some dominance, honesty and fairness that had me all gooey. While he was a loner on the race track, he was quite the family man at home. I really adored him.

I don’t know if the main character of the next book can trump Jared, but the ending of this story made me really excited for his book.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment