Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Book Review: The Murder List: A Novel of Suspense by Hank Phillippi Ryan


WOW! Who would have thought?! I was captured from the very start by this thrilling and unpredictable story.

This was my first book by this author and I can't wait to read more from her! The cover of The Murder List drew me in and I was sold by the last sentence from the blurb about it being a cat and mouse game--the battle for justice becoming a battle for survival.
'I'm wondering if my marriage will survive my summer job.'
A game it was indeed and although I kept guessing who the culprit was, in the end I had accused almost everyone and still not gotten one right because of the countless possibilities. The story took unexpected turns and it's really the best when you go in knowing as little as possible to get the full experience of this edge-gripping-tension.

I got so lost in this book, the writing, the game, the power-hungry people, the obsession of winning, the sore-loser, selfish people who didn't care about right or wrong, collateral damages, the farce to distract. And it all came down to craziness.
'How long does it take to ruin everything? One moment. One wrong decision. One mistake. One unfortunate assumption or ill-chosen word or even a misunderstood gift. The dominoes fall, never to be righted.'
The suspense had its peak when everything fell into place closer to the end and it was killing me how thrilling of a ride it was because although I came up with all kinds of scenarios and questioned every step of the characters, I really did not see it coming. I highly recommend this unputdownable book.

The story switched between Rachel's first POV and other people's third POV but it was still easy enough to follow and gave a lot more insight on what was happening than would have been the case from only Rachel's view.
Also, the story switched between past and present, between the current murder case and an old one when Rachel met Jack.
Now, this might sound like a lot was going on and that it could be confusing but this was not the case at all. I usually get confused with time changes and different POVs but the author did a fantastic job in handling the story and weaving it all together.

Okay, so, there was one tiny thing that did bother me throughout this story, which was the reason why I couldn’t give this a full star rating. It was the sometimes unnecessary detailing of surroundings and things or various irrelevant and drawn out thoughts from the characters. Since the story already had a rather slow pace for most of the time, the detailing just dragged it down too much. Other than that, I pretty much loved this entire book and will put it on my must-re-read list.

-- I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. --

My rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment