Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Book Review: False Perceptions by Michelle Heard

This was an unexpectedly emotional story. I was in tears a lot and almost always teary eyed in between with all the palpable tension and raw emotions.
'"Every day I live is in honor of you because a simple thank you will never be enough."'
I loved Team Creed. They were awesome individuals who fought against the bad guys to keep the good people safe. They risked their lives to rid the world of the scum of the earth. They were men of honor, courage and selflessness - true heroes in what they did without the world even knowing about it.

Emilie Swanson was a strong character who had just herself to rely on. That was something she only learned late on in life after going through lots of disappointments and betrayals from people she thought would love her and she could count on. But as strong as she might have been, she was too stubborn for her own good and didn't recognize bad intentions until it was too late and already hurting her.
'Five men showed me that honor is still alive and beating strong in their chests.'
The book was mostly from Hayden and Emilie's POV with rather short chapters which gave the story a good flow. The story had a great pace whether in suspenseful situations or normal every day kind of scenes. This was one of the books I couldn’t put down and almost read in one sitting.

I was very emotional during this read which was unexpected because I just didn't think the author would take this route and put me through the wringer like that.
Although I loved the book it was so heartbreaking that I wished the story had different outcomes for some characters, but it is what it is and it wouldn't be as great if it was different. Just hold your loved ones close and keep some tissues at hand.
I literally wrote a note on my kindle at some point, beginning and praying because I really wanted the author to change something that was just too painful for my soul.
'A devastating moment like this becomes a live tattoo embedded under your skin. It becomes the air you breathe. It makes all light blinding. Every dark shadow is filled with the soul-shattering silence of words that will never be spoken.'
Not everything was perfect, especially when I thought farther ahead or deeper into the meaning and reasons behind some actions (i.e. the stuff with her father), but it was never in a ridiculous way and always logical enough.

I loved Hayden’s character and I loved that Rhett, one of my favorite people from the Screw Crew and Evie, Hayden's daughter, were (obviously) also part of this story.
'Dave, Axel, Mike, and Max were my family forged by trusting each other with our lives. I never doubted that they would always have my back. They were the only four men I allowed to stand behind me. I trusted no one else to have my six.'
I don't really know what else to say because I enjoyed it so much I would only ramble about my love for this book and my excitement about the coming one. Let me just say that although it was deeply heartbreaking, I was glad that it wasn't all destroying and gave me hope in the end.

PS: I absolutely loved the author's note at the end of the book.

-- I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book given by the author. --

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment