Monday, July 23, 2018

Book Review: Sick Fux by Tillie Cole


That's one of those books that're very hard to rate. It started out sooooo good! I loved it and thought it was going to be at least a 4 or even 5 star read. Then it got to the point where it became repetitive and dragging and I was like okaaay that's not more than a 3 star. So, after I finished the book, I have to say that for me personally it would be an overall 3 star read because I wouldn't read it a second time. But on the other hand it was a very unique story and the writing was amazing. So, you see, it’s a fight between 3 and 4 stars. The deciding factor finally was the fact that I only finished the story because of my curiosity on how the book was going to end.
'Time For Tea.'
The story was a lot different to what I anticipated, though that was not at all the problem for me. I really liked the very fascinating characters and the visualization I had in my head of them. I loved Dolly and Rabbit and wished I could have brought them to life just to admire. They were so complex though that it would have been impossible to do them justice. Those crazy puppets really had some screws loose but who could blame them for what had been done to them?! I was really glad they got their revenge.
'“Tick tock, Rabbit. Always and forever, tick tock.”'
As you know from the warnings in the blurb, this book contains a lot of dark and sensitive subjects. I must say that I had no problem at all reading this story because I had read a lot darker books before. As long as the details don't get too descriptive I have no problems with reading anything. Movies would be an entirely different thing though. Honestly, I think that this story wasn't typically dark. It covered morbid subjects but that didn’t necessarily make it a dark read. It mostly was just really crazy due to the mentally disordered characters and all the blood play. One could even say it was close to a thriller. But yeah, it had dark themes.
'Dark. The only way I could explain his scent was dark'
Please don't judge the book by my rating because I really wasn't sure how to rate it due to the fact that I loved a lot of parts but just not all of them. The writing was awesome and if you like cray cray stories than this is probably right up your alley! And if not, let's just admire this gorgeous cover!
This was my first book by this author and I was very surprised in a positive way but I'm a person that prefers plausible things. When a story (even fiction) gets too convenient for the characters and stretches plausibility too far so that I can’t wrap my mind around it anymore, it just ruins the fun for me. Those characters definitely lived in their own little world but when everything is allowed and there are no rules to follow, where's the fun in that? I don't say that this story is full of BS because it sure wasn't. I just think it could have been better at some parts especially when the pace slowed down too much and it was on repeat of killing and literally bloody fucking/playing.
'My Alice in Wonderland about to start her adventure.'
This was a very dark, enthralling and fucked up version of Alice in Wonderland but it was so weird and strangely compelling that it was actually great.
'Looking down at Dolly, I took my watch from my pocket, raised it to my ear and announced, “Tick tock.”'
Spoilery:
I loved the picture of these two characters in my head. Them driving in his mustang. Her dressed like Alice from Wonderland in blue and white with her pink lipstick, the black hairband and the doll’s head hanging from her belt; him in a black suit stroking the rabbit's head on his weapon/cane and checking the time on his pocket watch 'Tick tock'. That's a sight to behold. Wow.
“'Only Earl Grey will ever do.”'
 My rating: 3-4 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment